Proximic does better than Google at contextual info delivery

BREAKING NEWS: You know how Google Adsense works? On blogs or web pages? It looks for keywords used and then delivers ads.

Or, you know those “related links” things that are showing up on various blogs and news pages? They are generated the same way.

But Proximic just shipped a much better system than the ones I’ve seen from Google and other players.

Here it is. This isn’t a lightweight Web 2.0 company, it was under development for five years.

[podtech content=http://media1.podtech.net/media/2007/09/PID_012710/Podtech_Proximic.flv&postURL=http://www.podtech.net/scobleshow/technology/1638/proximic-brings-new-contextual-search-and-advertising-platform&totalTime=1932000&breadcrumb=2e1af85109f64f648f199eef12193dc7]

Comments

1. test38383838390 says:

And not even a link to Proximic?

***SIGH***
    Manoj

2. test38383838390 says:

And not even a link to Proximic?

***SIGH***
    Manoj

3. Sorry for missing that. I just added it. http://www.proximic.com/

4. Sorry for missing that. I just added it. http://www.proximic.com/

5. Kelly says:

The “Here it is” tricked me. :|

6. Kelly says:

The “Here it is” tricked me. :|

7. Kelly says:

Went to try it out but their download stuff doesn’t seem to be working right (firefox) and they are not listed with https://addons.mozilla.org I got it to work the hard way, though.

That said… I hate sidebars. HATE them. I can’t see this being very useful to me if I need to constantly have it in the sidebar to get much use out of it.

I like the concept though. :/

8. Kelly says:

I like the concept though. :/

9. william says:

Oh my, not *another* company thats going to blow away Google.

10. william says:

Oh my, not *another* company thats going to blow away Google.

11. George says:

Just installed this add-on – works like a charm!
    Kelly is right: it’s not listed publicly on mozilla.org – but can be found in their sandbox.

12. George says:

Just installed this add-on – works like a charm!

13. jason says:

Because a toolbar for a browser that’s not used by a big majority of people is really going to get them mainstream.

14. jason says:

15. william says:

Ever think that maybe there aren’t a lot of people advertising on “avian bird flu” ? The examples used just didn’t seem very good.

16. william says:

17. The best part of being a startup is that you are forced to tackling specific problems. Good stuff this !

But Question : do you really think they can afford to give competitors another five years before building “contextual content delivery” and “in-text advertising” expertise ?

Answer : I really don’t think so 8 )

Keep Clicking,
    Bhasker V Kode

18. The best part of being a startup is that you are forced to tackling specific problems. Good stuff this !

Answer : I really don’t think so 8 )

Keep Clicking,
    Bhasker V Kode

19. Natural language Contextual matching technology has a huge future…I may not be too surprised if couple of years down the line companies like proximic become the next big thing

20. Natural language Contextual matching technology has a huge future…I may not be too surprised if couple of years down the line companies like proximic become the next big thing

21. bloggo says:

Isn’t this essentially what inform technologies does?

22. bloggo says:

Isn’t this essentially what inform technologies does?

23. Correct me if I’m wrong but, By working of characters instead of words or phrases, don’t they completely lose the ability to relate articles/posts/whatever that are in different languages?

By identifying ‘patterns’ in characters like they suggest it seems to me that yes it will WORK for any language, but it will only relate to other items posted in that same language which to me defeats the idea.

24. Correct me if I’m wrong but, By working of characters instead of words or phrases, don’t they completely lose the ability to relate articles/posts/whatever that are in different languages?

25. [...] 1st, 2007 · No Comments This is a fascinating interview by Scoble with the people from Proximic.  Its hard to follow, but worth the effort, if you [...]

26. Adam S. Amules says:

Oops, right, it’s still in the mozilla sandbox. Always thought there must be more nice stuff out there. Let’s let it free.

27. Adam S. Amules says:

28. Ryan says:

Did he actually say “US Americans” ??

29. Ryan says:

Did he actually say “US Americans” ??

30. Curt says:

The idea of finding relevant information within the content’s context one is reading is not something new. LinkedWords.com for example has been around for more than a year now but seeing how Proximic plans to do that I think http://LinkedWords.com is taking a different approach and instead of using a widget that matches the context they are linking strategic words across web pages, documents and content areas through their contextual platform (38M page large, btw) as in this way they create contextual connections between two and more content areas with the same context helping this way common users find contextual information while web publishers are given with the opportunity to gather and exchange extremely targeted traffic among themselves. As far as I understand the matter seeding contextual links around web on tens of thousands of content areas is perhaps better idea taking into consideration the long term benefits of having static in-text links around web rather than relying on a java/ajax based widget which normally is closed for the eyes of the major search engines and their indexing/filtering/semantic/clustering engines. Simply said real contextual links among content areas around web seems better and easier idea by me than contextual connections among web sites done through invisible for the search engines and placed off the real text widget. (Disclosure: I have used LinkedWords in the past). Proof for the better approach is currently the 400,000+ unique visitors per month to the LinkedWords’ contextual platform.

31. Curt says:

32. eric dolecki says:

XP running on a MacBook :)

33. eric dolecki says:

XP running on a MacBook :)

34. linda says:

Robert Scoble , thanx for your information about proximic

35. linda says:

Robert Scoble , thanx for your information about proximic

36. Nicole Simon says:

Adsense works in German and with local adaption – do they too or do I need to go through the whole interview just to find out they don’t? tip: include that info for your international readers next time. ;)

37. Nicole Simon says:

38. [...] Proximic currently offers a widget for publishers, so they can display relevant information from around the web on within their sites, and a Firefox browser plugin that displays similar pages. Because it relies on patterns, not words, it can be used in any language. Scoble has a good video interview with the founders here. [...]

39. David says:

Breaks the Firefox sidebar when I try it: moves it, and prevents it being resized.

40. David says:

41. Charlotte Eriksson says:

Tried it a three months now and my enthusiasm’s gone.

It’s still buggy (after all those years) and often I found the results terrific bad. Well, it works fine with some computerrelated stuff (especially if you owe a macbook as I do) and okay for a few other topics, including english soccer results. But there a lot of gaps in other topics. And you rarely get something deeper than the usual “introduction into the topic” stuff. If my interests go into parachuting,I’m not interested in yet another “why parachuting is fun” article.

It’s not that progressive to show related wikipedia articles and the links found there. Mostly, it’s a lot easier to have a simple look in wikipedia first. There is no need for a tool like that.

42. Charlotte Eriksson says:

Tried it a three months now and my enthusiasm’s gone.