Front-row seat to John Edwards sex scandal

Rielle Hunter sitting next to him)

I, along with a few other journalists I had a front-row seat and have some of the only photos of Hunter.

See, stuff like this always seems to happen to “other people.” People you don’t know. Never have met. Don’t care about.

In this case, though, my wife, Maryam, interviewed Elizabeth Edwards. I interviewed John and sat next to Hunter. All while not having any clue about the secret they were all keeping.

The photo above is Hunter sitting next to Edwards. I never saw them behave inappropriately in front of me and Edwards let me hang out with him nearly around the clock.

There are lots of stories on Google News. Personally, my thoughts go out to everyone involved.

Here’s all my photos of the trip with John Edwards where he announced he was running for President of the United States. Unfortunately the videos I shot are gone, PodTech pulled them down and I don’t have the copyright on those, so can’t repost them.

Here’s my photo of Hunter:

Edwards' videoblogger - Reille Hunter

Comments

1. Thanks for posting this at HuffPo…

Of COURSE there’s a Scoble connection, just to defeat any chance I have at claiming Twitter dominance of the story!!!

Amazing. Witness to history. Look how close they are sitting.

2. Thanks for posting this at HuffPo…

Amazing. Witness to history. Look how close they are sitting.

3. J. Laboriel says:

I don’t care for the personal life of any politician. As long as they do their job and fight hard to improve the lives of those who elected them . Whatever they do with their own personal time is their business. If they live fullfiling personal lives they will be good at work and that’s all I care. I can’t care less about this story. I would not vote for Edwards because I don’t agree with some of his policies but that’s another issue. Scoble, Please don’t post more of his pictures. He gave you exclusive access and for you to take advantage of the current situation to promote yourself I view it a cheap shot. No need for that.

4. J. Laboriel says:

5. Sue says:

As perhaps the catalyst that introduced the Scobles to the Edwards, I find this post to be sympathetic and empathetic while highlighting exactly what we know: you never know. It’s always different when you know the people involved. How utterly sad all of this is.

6. [...] Scoble has some pictures of Rielle on the campaign trail, making the 4 short videos for which she was paid over [...]

7. Sue says:

8. Rachel says:

So, did he hook up first and then offer her the job? She’s not exactly an ace at video production.

9. Rachel says:

10. WT says:

He cheated on his wife with THAT? At least Clinton bagged Elizabeth Ward Gracen.

11. WT says:

12. Josh Morgan says:

A lesson like this was learned by photographer Dirck Halstead in 1998 when a forgotten picture he had taken of a president and an intern became big news – http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue9807/editorial.htm

13. Josh Morgan says:

14. JamesB says:

Not to get into politics to much but all those in the rest of the country may now understand why Edwards was no longer a Senator from NC and could not help Kerry win the state. What’s worse probably is what we are seeing by those that want to lead us and those that have in a total lack of respect for their word, their office, their spouses and family. Their word means nothing.

15. JamesB says:

16. Dawn says:

Wow. Up close and personal. Way to go.

I’ve always thought there was something smarmy about Edwards. That big fake smile he puts on gives me the creeps. As someone who has fought breast cancer and lost my husband to cancer, it’s hard for me to believe he could be that low. Not to mention utterly stupid.

17. Dawn says:

Wow. Up close and personal. Way to go.

18. Please stop. That is not history (“A witness to history” ah ah), this is not politics, and this does not have anything to do with journalism.

Someone cheating on his wife (not that I approve) does not affect his professional abilities, and in this case John Edwards would certainly not have been a better or worst president or VP because of this.

Calling this a “Sex Scandal” does not make sense. Nobody was injured. Everybody involved was probably happy. It is the story of a guy cheating on his wife, it is a bad move, but it is certainly not a scandal and not criminal.

Stop it, s’il vous plait.

19. Please stop. That is not history (“A witness to history” ah ah), this is not politics, and this does not have anything to do with journalism.

Stop it, s’il vous plait.

20. p-air says:

you have to wonder why politicians and preachers always take that higher than thou attitude given that it’s generally them who are the worse offenders of moral behavior. i prefer to act immoral so as not to cloud my moral judgment :) preachers preaching, politicians pontificating on the moral fiber…bah-humbug!…I say that if any of these folks gets caught in one of the incidents after preaching against it they s/b punished significantly more harshly than those who keep their traps shut on these matters. we know it’s human nature to behave this way, so why keep denying it.

21. p-air says:

22. Jerry says:

You’re never short on hyperbole, that’s for sure. You had no clue? Of course you didn’t! That was the whole idea about keeping it a secret. Edwards may be a slimeball, but that doesn’t make him stupid. Were you expecting him to introduce you to her as his mistriss? “Stuff like this always happens to other people”??? And it did this time. Nothing about this story “happened to you” while you were humping Edwards leg. So, I’m not sure the point you are trying to make. What would you have been looking for during this time if you indeed wanted to “look beyond what was happening?”. Your ego is trying to convince us that “you were there”. You were no more “there”, than the guy that sold Mark David Chapman his copy of “Catcher in the Rye” the morning of Lennon’s murder. Good grief, get over yourself. Not every story has a connection to you.

23. Jerry says:

24. Freeman says:

Is Edwards wearing a straight-jacket in that photo, or does it just REALLY look like it?

25. Freeman says:

26. Andrew Kun says:

In response to Jean, trouble is that in the US this type of behavior doesn’t improve your chances of becoming president. So when you ask for the nomination of a party, knowing full well that your chances could be dashed in an instant, that’s a problem. And if you do become president, someone out there has information that they can use to blackmail you, which may very well have an effect on your job performance. So, yeah, it’s a big deal.

27. Andrew Kun says:

28. Alex Hammer says:

Wow. Good reporting.

29. Alex Hammer says:

Wow. Good reporting.

30. Dawn says:

If Edwards had won the nomination this would have guaranteed that the Democrats would lose the White House.

And if Obama had picked him as VP, it could have derailed Obama’s chances.

It goes to judgment as well as character. So, yes, being weak and narcissistic does matter.

I wonder what people who gave money to his campaign will think and do if it’s proven that they have been giving her hush money from campaign coffers.

31. Dawn says:

And if Obama had picked him as VP, it could have derailed Obama’s chances.

32. To Andrew: yes, it’s a big deal to him, his wife and the girl he cheated with. I do not see why it is interesting to anyone else. It’s kind of personal, you know.

33. To Andrew: yes, it’s a big deal to him, his wife and the girl he cheated with. I do not see why it is interesting to anyone else. It’s kind of personal, you know.

34. Jean, I’m totally in agreement with you on this one and I’m glad you felt compelled to comment. As the news was breaking yesterday, I was sickened by how quick people, journalists, television stations, and everyone else was so quick to take the scandal thread and run with it. All of sudden Edwards is the scum of the earth. I can’t overlook the fact that running for president does subject him to this type of public abuse, but the problem I have is that everyone who is spending countless hours ripping apart his character and sensationalizing the story is also keeping equally dark and dirty secrets of their own. At the end of the day, Edwards is just a man and men (and women) are prone to make mistakes. It’s the nature of life.

35. Jean, I’m totally in agreement with you on this one and I’m glad you felt compelled to comment. As the news was breaking yesterday, I was sickened by how quick people, journalists, television stations, and everyone else was so quick to take the scandal thread and run with it. All of sudden Edwards is the scum of the earth. I can’t overlook the fact that running for president does subject him to this type of public abuse, but the problem I have is that everyone who is spending countless hours ripping apart his character and sensationalizing the story is also keeping equally dark and dirty secrets of their own. At the end of the day, Edwards is just a man and men (and women) are prone to make mistakes. It’s the nature of life.

36. Jean and Jennifer: it’s not the sex that matters. It’s the lies. Well, and the fact that he was wanting us to hire him to run our country at the time. Personally, THAT is all that matters. If you want to run our country you better be a bit better than most of us will behave, at least while you’re trying to get the job. And certainly putting yourself in a place where you can be blackmailed isn’t all that bright when you’re going to be running a country.

37. Jean and Jennifer: it’s not the sex that matters. It’s the lies. Well, and the fact that he was wanting us to hire him to run our country at the time. Personally, THAT is all that matters. If you want to run our country you better be a bit better than most of us will behave, at least while you’re trying to get the job. And certainly putting yourself in a place where you can be blackmailed isn’t all that bright when you’re going to be running a country.

38. Wade Dorrell says:

“It reminds me that as a blogger/journalist I have to always capture images, not knowing what the real story actually will turn out being. And always keep looking beyond what I was being presented.”

That is definitely true. Readers should do the same re: stories.

39. Wade Dorrell says:

That is definitely true. Readers should do the same re: stories.

40. Dawn says:

The “nature of life” is also to make cancer 12 times more dangerous when your under stress and anguish. This will literally shorten Elizabeth Edwards life. I guess that’s what this “other woman” is banking on, since she is telling all her friends that she will become the next Mrs. Edwards.

Face it, the guy is scum.

41. Dawn says:

Face it, the guy is scum.

42. JP says:

This completes your transition from tech commentator par excellence to gossip monger. How disappointing.

43. JP says:

44. gambit242 says:

It’s interesting how things work out in the long run. I guess it pays to always save those THOUSANDS of pictures.. ;)

45. gambit242 says:

46. torey says:

All 4 John Edward videos that were Produced by Reille Hunter

I dont even know what to think about all of this. You be the judge!

Edwards Webisode 1: Plane Truths

John Edwards – Webisode 2

Missing Edwards Webisode 3 – Plight of Uganda

Missing Edwards Webisode 4 – Plugs

47. torey says:

All 4 John Edward videos that were Produced by Reille Hunter

I dont even know what to think about all of this. You be the judge!

Edwards Webisode 1: Plane Truths

John Edwards – Webisode 2

Missing Edwards Webisode 3 – Plight of Uganda

Missing Edwards Webisode 4 – Plugs

48. Tony says:

Ted Kennedy left a woman at the bottom of a river in his car. Obama admits to using cocaine when he was younger. Dubya got a DUI. Clinton got a hummer in the oval office….Edwards extra marital affair just seems to be about par for the course….it’s all just a matter of how it gets spun these days.

49. Tony says:

50. Robin Rath says:

Off topic but might fit since there is some political nature to this article – does anyone find it strange that Bernie Mac (R.I.P.) had so much more publicity on the web today than the Olympic murder of Todd Bachman (R.I.P.). Now that I think of it, why is CNN.com still talking about this story too?

Am I making this up?

51. Robin Rath says:

Am I making this up?

52. Robin: people don’t know who Todd Bachman so they don’t have the viceral reaction they do when they hear Bernie Mac died.

The news business is a bummer to work in because it’s driven by advertising, which is driven by audience. They give you stuff you probably are going to care about.

JP: there isn’t any gossip in this post. Glad you know the difference between news and gossip.

53. Robin: people don’t know who Todd Bachman so they don’t have the viceral reaction they do when they hear Bernie Mac died.

54. William says:

I read this and wondered what I got out of it. What the point of it was.

After a few minutes I realized the only point being delivered is that Robert Scoble was there. That’s it.

Oh . . . wait – and the advice that perhaps one should take photos and video of EVERYTHING just in case one ends up in the middle of some potentially salacious controversy one can inject themselves into to get and or maintain web traffic.

My bad.

So, congrats.

Is there anything else of value in this post I might have missed?

55. William says:

I read this and wondered what I got out of it. What the point of it was.

My bad.

So, congrats.

Is there anything else of value in this post I might have missed?

56. Glenn says:

@WT. Yeah but Clinton also bagged Lewinsky and Paula Jones so he’s still in the negative

57. Glenn says:

58. Glenn says:

“it’s not the sex but the lying”??? Did I read that right? So…if you come home tonight and tell Mayram you just had sex with one of your co-workers an hour ago… And, oh btw, you’ll be late tomorrow because you’ll be having sex with the waitress at the restaurant down the street; she wouldn’t have a problem with that? Afterall, you didn’t lie. In fact, I love to have Mayram answer that.

I’m pretty sure he lied BECAUSE he had sex with someone other than his wife. So it IS about the sex as well

59. Glenn says:

60. Karl says:

Scoble, Clinton put himself in a positioned to be blackmailed almost every day of his presidency. Come to think of it, so did JFK. Hell, with Clinton we even knew the deal going in. Yet the country elected him. So your argument is somewhat weak. Edwards just isn’t presidential, and had a 60′s based platform. That’s why he had no shot. Clinton proved lying is not a factor. At least when it comes to electing a Democrat for president.

61. Karl says:

62. MADHAVI says:

Although it is his personal matter, but still politicians must keep their collar white because they are people’s representative. he also cheat his wife and girl.

63. MADHAVI says:

64. MY Guy says:

Here is some great background music for this post and video

65. MY Guy says:

Here is some great background music for this post and video

66. WilliamFan says:

@William. Good call. Look at the first paragraph:

“I had no idea that when former Senator John Edwards invited me to come along on his plane back in December of 2006 that I would have had a front-row seat to a sex scandal. John Edwards today admitted he had an affair with Rielle Hunter back in 2006.”

Three references to Robert (two I’s and a me) and only two of the senator.

67. WilliamFan says:

@William. Good call. Look at the first paragraph:

Three references to Robert (two I’s and a me) and only two of the senator.

68. JamesB says:

Jean, PLEASE WAKE UP! This speaks to character and honesty something the Dems when it comes to the presidency obviously think don’t relate. If he is willing to cheat on his wife, lie about it and at the same time chastise Clinton for doing the same thing shows this is not the man you want in the most powerful office in the world. This isn’t a popularity show or at least it shouldn’t be so those $400 hair cuts and screwing around with the hired help does say something about how this man would have been in office. It shows a total lack of judgment, go figure for a lawyer, and how easy the general public in this country are sold on something without doing their own research and educating themselves and then making up their minds. The people of NC didn’t elect this man in the first place, the Raleigh area did, and they learned early on what he was all about, HIMSELF!

Don’t forget at the same time he was out screwing around and it appears knocking this chick up he is preaching “abstinence and contraception”.

69. JamesB says:

70. JamesB says:

Robert if this story was advertising driven it would have been in the mainstream media a year ago when it started making the rounds but it wasn’t. It wasn’t because Edwards was the media hero and they would do nothing to give the Dems a black eye. A presidential candidate screwing around on his wife who also just happens to be running was not the story the “news” media wanted to play so they buried it until they could not hide it anymore.

Hopefully the story does not stop here as I want to see the where the money came from that she has been living on. Talking about campaign funds abuse this could get ugly if the story doesn’t get buried again.

71. JamesB says:

72. Dawn says:

The Enquirer has been on tv saying they are 100% certain that the baby IS Edwards. You can buy a DNA paternity test at any pharmacy nowdays. It would have been easy for them or anybody else to get a hair from the baby and from Edwards.

I think Edwards said “Let’s do a paternity test to prove I’m not the father” because he was in cahoots with Hunter who has quickly said she won’t allow it.

Everybody saying the media is piling on Edwards forgets JamesB’s point that they have been totally silent on this affair, even after he was caught in the hotel with her a couple of weeks ago. The NE has been looking into this for over a year. They say they are going to bring out all the facts they’ve collected in the coming days and weeks, in their own time. Obviously, they want to sell their newspapers. And they will.

I bet Hunter isn’t the only one, just the only one with a baby. More women will undoubtedly be named or come forward on their own.

This is a long-winded way of saying that Robert is correct with this post. Bloggers and other ordinary citizens will play an increasing role in bringing things like this public and sorting things facts after suspicions arise. Now there is a photo record of politicians, business leaders, etc. that they can’t control. Was so-and-so really at X-place on Y-date? Who was with him?

Now the public has more power to point out lies and inconsistencies.

73. Dawn says:

Now the public has more power to point out lies and inconsistencies.

74. >So…if you come home tonight and tell Mayram you just had sex with one of your co-workers an hour ago

I’m talking about public discourse here. What happens at home is different than what happens in the public square to our politicians. Thanks for not noticing that.

75. >So…if you come home tonight and tell Mayram you just had sex with one of your co-workers an hour ago

76. William: >Is there anything else of value in this post I might have missed?

Yes. The link to Google News.

I didn’t feel like I had to add anything to the hundreds of thousands of words other people are already writing about this story that I linked to through that link.

Interestingly I was on the plane to study how Edwards was using social media. That’s why I thought Hunter was an interesting subject back then. I just didn’t see anything interesting enough to remember her very well, or say much about her other than to say I met her.

77. William: >Is there anything else of value in this post I might have missed?

Yes. The link to Google News.

78. Nancy says:

WT, Glenn why do I think that you too would hardly turn heads? What idiots.

Robert, I hope when you say “It reminds me that as a blogger/journalist I have to always capture images, not knowing what the real story actually will turn out being. And always keep looking beyond what I was being presented” I that means you’re starting to put your journalist’s hat back on. You do rather seem to spend a lot of time star struck by your subjects. Understandable, but there’s always more than meets the eye.

79. Nancy says:

WT, Glenn why do I think that you too would hardly turn heads? What idiots.

80. Danny Vice says:

When we posted this story in Dec. 2007 (and we certainly weren’t the only blog to do so) the article was hit about 6,000 times, leading me to believe that it was absolutely newsworthy with or without Edward’s admission. After all – all the same elements are there. Not much has changed in a half a year.

The fly in the ointment here though is that is shows pretty plainly how bent the media is. Oh yeah, I know, they’ll cover liberal goofs when they absolutely have to. The cable news networks are forcing them to cover all sorts of things they didn’t want to cover before….

However the newspapers – like the NY Times will splash an unproven, story about McCain alleged affair all over the front page, while the Edwards story (which has had sources, photos, witnesses and the woman’s allegations) was flatly ignored.

Now the liberal press proports “he’s not running for anything, why does it matter?”

Well, the story happened when he was running for something – he then was a viable VP candidate and lastly, yes, he STILL in active in the political process, stumping for Obama.

To say it’s not a legitimate, serious story is pure nonsense – and since I seriously doubt Edwards is coming clean about the child being his, it will continue to be a story.

Danny Vice

81. Danny Vice says:

Danny Vice

82. [...] pm · Filed under Politics ·Tagged affair, government, john edwards, politicians, trust Reading Scoble today I see he was on the spot so that he could get a pic of just-the-latest-political-scandal with his [...]

83. T3chlusive says:

“It reminds me that as a blogger/journalist I have to always capture images, not knowing what the real story actually will turn out being.”

Doing a story means you gather facts and data in consequence of an event. This was happenstance. Had you be doing the story, you would be out there right now interviewing the parties and taking current pictures.

84. T3chlusive says:

85. tina says:

I always wondered why the Senator didn’t ask you back on the campaign trail after your first trip.

I just assumed someone on his staff finally got around to reading your blog.

It turns out, the senator just didn’t swing that way.

86. tina says:

I just assumed someone on his staff finally got around to reading your blog.

It turns out, the senator just didn’t swing that way.

87. Some Guy says:

This completes your transition from tech commentator par excellence

Heh. When was Scoble ever a “tech commentator par excellence”?

Anyhow, about Fluffy the Trial Lawyer: he’s a failed candidate, and precisely the same kind of cheating scumbag as John McCain, Gary Hart, Elliot Spitzer, or Bill Clinton. Maybe someday people will stop looking up to politicians as celebrities and realize that they’re just people. Greedy, power-hungry people, but still just people.

88. Some Guy says:

This completes your transition from tech commentator par excellence

Heh. When was Scoble ever a “tech commentator par excellence”?

89. Christopher Coulter says:

‘Edwards Campaign Paid Mistress $100k For ‘Webisode’ Series’, add another 7 million, and you get Podtech.

90. Christopher Coulter says:

91. Some Guy says:

I notice a definite negative trend in the women that democrats are tossing their careers over. JFK banged Marilyn Monroe (stunning), Gary Hart did Donna Rice(pretty), Clinton did Monica Lewinsky (barely cute, from the neck up), and Fluffy just got caught with a totally average middle-aged political whore.

With this trend, I’m expecting the next democrat who craters his career to be caught with a geriatric tranny hooker.

92. Some Guy says:

93. Some Guy says:

“If you want to run our country you better be a bit better than most of us will behave, ”

I predict many bitter disappointments in your future, Scoble.

94. Some Guy says:

I predict many bitter disappointments in your future, Scoble.

95. Pete says:

To be honest with you, it’s not really that surprising that John Edwards had an affair. This is something that politicians do all the time. What’s surprising is that he got caught. Most politicians are much better at covering these things up.

96. Pete says:

97. Glenn says:

Scoble re: public discourse

You couldn’t be more wrong. At least that appears to be the Dems viewpoint. The country brushed aside Clinton’s lies for two elections. Massachusetts doesn’t seem to give a crap what Ted Kennedy does, as long as he continues to vote to raise taxes. I can almost guarentee you that if the Obamessiah found himself in this situation it would not have affected his supporters one bit. Or if the Breck Girl had the nomination in hand it would not have affected his supporters. No,it tends to be the Repubs that are held to your standards. Name me one Dem that has been run out of office on rails with a majority vote coming from his own party. Riddle me this, Batman. If Edwards was The Chosen Onr, knowing what you know now, would you have dropped support for him?

98. Glenn says:

Scoble re: public discourse

99. Michael says:

This just proves, Robert, that you are a fame hungry bottom feeder.

100. Michael says:

This just proves, Robert, that you are a fame hungry bottom feeder.

101. torey says:

Edwards claimed that the relationship began only after Hunter was hired to film him for a series of campaign documentaries?

By the time Hunter was signed on to the Edwards campaign as a videographer — for a fee of $114,000 — O’Brien said they were already in a steamy relationship with nicknames like “Love Lips”

“The affair began before she was hired to work for the campaign,” said Pigeon O’Brien

Here is 1 of the 4 John Edward videos that were Produced by Reille Hunter

Edwards Webisode 1: Plane Truths

102. torey says:

Here is 1 of the 4 John Edward videos that were Produced by Reille Hunter

Edwards Webisode 1: Plane Truths

103. theodp says:

Think I just saw your Edwards-Hunter photo on Entertainment Tonight…

104. theodp says:

Think I just saw your Edwards-Hunter photo on Entertainment Tonight…

105. I did not have sex with that w says:

Must suck to know that you backed the totally wrong horse in the election. And you still haven’t recovered from your brief foray into politics. You were all in on Edwards, tried to get The Hill to tweet…and yet still don’t have an opinion or position on the remaining two candidates. Way to go…

106. I did not have sex with that woman... says:

107. Rathbone says:

So, were the PAC payments to her bogus little production company in violation of campaign finance laws? Those sure look like political ads. And he must have hooked up with her then found a way for people who donated to his campaign to pay for his plaything. Nice.

108. Rathbone says:

109. Maxine says:

On his interview Fiday night John said that Elizabeth was always here (patting his heart) does that mean he was thinking of her while he was in bed with Hunter. I guess it was like Princess Diana felt like there was (3) in her marriage. I guess it was (3) in the bed with John, Rielle and Elizabeth. He actually makes me sick. I had a husband just like him, however, at least when backed in a corner John admitted the affair my ex just married his.

110. Maxine says:

111. Raise your hand if you didn’t see this coming?

112. Raise your hand if you didn’t see this coming?

113. >I did not have.

I’m backing Obama. If you watched the videos that I did with political leaders over at http://www.fastcompany.tv you would have known that.

>Text Link

I didn’t see it coming.

>Dawn

Several journalists have told me there’s a lot more news coming on this story including other women.

114. >I did not have.

>Text Link

I didn’t see it coming.

>Dawn

115. >He was a Microsoft PR flack, and now he’s a free-lance groupie. He was never a journalist.

Um, really?

I’ve done more than 1,000 interviews and you get to see almost all of my work (most TV journalists only let you see 1% of their questions and answers).

What the heck is a “free-lance groupie?”

116. >He was a Microsoft PR flack, and now he’s a free-lance groupie. He was never a journalist.

Um, really?

What the heck is a “free-lance groupie?”

117. How does this affect his performance on the job? How can you disqualify him for such a personal matter? What about his policies? His views for the future of the US? His take on global warming? Don’t those matter more than the fact that he made a mistake that should concern only his closest circle – because IT IS PERSONAL?

Scoble, he did not lie to you, he cheated on his wife. That’s it. If you need to disqualify him, do it on matters related to the job he applies to.

118. How does this affect his performance on the job? How can you disqualify him for such a personal matter? What about his policies? His views for the future of the US? His take on global warming? Don’t those matter more than the fact that he made a mistake that should concern only his closest circle – because IT IS PERSONAL?

119. Jean: he lied to all of us when he told the press repeatedly that he hadn’t had an affair. Also, he lambasted Clinton for doing the same thing with his affair. That’s what took it from being a private affair to being one that’s public. I agree with you overall, but if he had just said “I don’t comment on private matters” then I would have been on your side. The minute he started lying to the public that’s when I changed my view.

120. Jean: he lied to all of us when he told the press repeatedly that he hadn’t had an affair. Also, he lambasted Clinton for doing the same thing with his affair. That’s what took it from being a private affair to being one that’s public. I agree with you overall, but if he had just said “I don’t comment on private matters” then I would have been on your side. The minute he started lying to the public that’s when I changed my view.

121. Yeah, OK, he did not handle it well. He has however the excuse of being only human in very stressful situations. Add stress, politics, the emotions of a mistake, the wife at home, and it is easy to get a bad mix. I would not call it a Sex Scandal, and give the guy a break.

Maybe we should ask ourselves if the press should not better focus on more pertinent matters.

By the way: if Steve Jobs did the same, would you stop buying iPhones?

122. Yeah, OK, he did not handle it well. He has however the excuse of being only human in very stressful situations. Add stress, politics, the emotions of a mistake, the wife at home, and it is easy to get a bad mix. I would not call it a Sex Scandal, and give the guy a break.

By the way: if Steve Jobs did the same, would you stop buying iPhones?

123. [...] Comment on Front-row seat to John Edwards sex scandal by Jean Moniatte [...]

124. [...] blogged Friday about the four-day presidential announcement trip, after Edwards admitted the romance with [...]

125. Benny says:

126. Benny says:

127. Les Smith says:

All you needed to know about this guy was that he is a lawyer, a profession known for lying, half truths, win at all cost, and no honor. What do you expect. Shakespeare was right “first kill all the lawyers”. Of all the dangers our country faces the most sever is our out of control legal system.

128. Les Smith says:

129. wild orchid says:

I love how people like to call out Democrats for affairs… when Republicans are meeting man on man in airport restrooms… and running for president after cheating on a first wife (who was sick at the time) with a woman who is now his second wife…

It just seems that a lot of men, in positions of power, can’t say ‘no!’

130. wild orchid says:

It just seems that a lot of men, in positions of power, can’t say ‘no!’

131. Sheree Lally says:

Having gone through a political campaign with one of my sons, and later having gone through an aggressive cancer treatment program with another, I was very disappointed in John Edwards decision to pursue the presidency while his wife was battling for her life. Although I admired him very much before, this selfish pursuit of his own interests in the face of the detriment this added stress would be to her health (it takes a toll even on a person in perfect health) made me wonder about his character. Oh sure, Elizabeth said it was HER decision, but now realizing what she knew that we didn’t, it’s clear why she wouldn’t DARE stand in his way. Grief and stress are the worst things that can happen to a person trying to fight cancer and he made sure she had plenty of both.

132. Sheree Lally says:

133. CJ: > Question for Scoble: was Hunter on the plane on the Des Moines leg of the trip? You interviewed CJ’s both in NOLA and Iowa.

Yes, she was on that leg.

134. CJ: > Question for Scoble: was Hunter on the plane on the Des Moines leg of the trip? You interviewed CJ’s both in NOLA and Iowa.

Yes, she was on that leg.

135. I always thought that Podtech blew it, in regards to you being on the Edwards plane.

The PR person or firm or whatever Podtech had – yes, I know your new anti-PR screed, and just nod and smile – had a major story, a major coup for Podtech. Here was the first candidate embracing social media (and, if memory serves, this was pre-Obama entering the race).

Nothing – or very little – in the newspapers that reached the audiences that Podtech probably needed to reach.

When Hillary announced her candidacy on YouTube, the major media picked it up and turned it into a bigger social media story. I remember reading the big article from AP, and I thought “wow, Podtech should have been in this article in regards to Edwards.”

It all comes full circle, though. If Podtech/you had been in those original stories, the mainstream media might have picked at your videos the second time around, giving press to your FastCompany.tv venture.

See, PR does have value.

136. I always thought that Podtech blew it, in regards to you being on the Edwards plane.

See, PR does have value.

137. [...] Franke-Ruta links to blogger Robert Scoble’s report of the latest developments in the John Edwards mistress saga, and now there are new [...]

138. Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg says:

I’ve often heard various folks comment on how wonderfully varied, complex and diverse the English language is, effortlessly welcoming foreign words and phrases ‘into the fold’. The depth of our language is sometimes described as a ‘bottomless reservoir’ of nuance.

I agreed with that sentiment, but no longer, thanks to John Edwards. I’ve been struggling the last two weeks for words to describe exactly how much of a douchebag he really is. And sadly, for the first time I find my native tongue wanting. The adjectives simply aren’t ‘there’ to accurately describe how much of a manipulative, calculating, reprehensible, scumbag, liar, phony, narcissistic, empty-suit, jackass he really is.

See that? My best effort to ‘capture’ the fundamental essence of John Edwards rings completely hollow, like calling the Grand Canyon a ‘really big ravine’. I would otherwise be embarrassed by my linguistic impotence, but I really don’t think it’s my fault. He has simply re-defined the boundaries of douche-baggery, shattering the power of words to define him. It is, in wierd sort of way, a mark of greatness. A legacy, if you will.

139. Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg says:

140. Robert Lewis says:

Andrew Young the admitted father of the John Edwards story: The arrests for worthless checks, DWI, burglary, criminal mischief, the federal tax lien

webofdeception.com

141. Robert Lewis says:

webofdeception.com

142. jamesjon83 says:

Hi,
    It’s great to see a photographer who have stood so long and having the grate resoles and good knowledge and shod the world the iconic stoos world the actual world.
    =======================================================

jamesjon83

143. jamesjon83 says:

Hi,
    =======================================================

jamesjon83

144. [...] Comment on Front-row seat to John Edwards sex scandal by jamesjon83 [...]